[mythtv-users] No sound after channel change with Pinnacle PCTV USB2 tuner

José Silva jsantossilva at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 23 00:28:30 UTC 2011

On 22-11-2011 02:26, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/21/2011 21:06, José Silva wrote:
>> For the past couple of years I've been struggling to make the audio of
>> this system work *properly*.
>>
>> Pinnacle PCTV USB2 analog PAL tuner (I need analog; my cable provider
>> does digital encrypted (which I use in the living room with a STB)
>
> Replace capture device with MPEG encoder.  See PVR-USB2 or HVR-1900.
>
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-1900
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Pvrusb2

Although I don't like to trash things that work (not with mythtv), I
just ordered a PVR-USB2; thank you for your advice.

Nonetheless, something still puzzles me: the MPEG chip encodes the
video, right?
But my problem is with audio, and not always. The proof that mythtv is
able to make it, is that it does every first time; and then the code
disobeys its mentor :)

> TVTime really doesn't do much of anything with your tuner.  The video
> frames are copied out of the tuner capture buffer, and into the graphics
> display buffer, with little to no manipulation.  Audio is left up to the
> system to pass through to the speakers.  When you are instead trying to
> capture and compress, MythTV is necessarily much more complicated.  The
> entire reason everyone recommends MPEG encoders for analog capture is to
> completely bypass this complication.

Again, it does it... every first time, although very complicated as you
explained.

Again, thank you for your help, I'm sure the new tuner will be much better.

keep well,
jss