[mythtv-users] Is this a failing drive?

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Nov 22 16:02:59 UTC 2011

On 11-11-22 10:22 AM, Don Brett wrote:
> I sent an email to Asus; we'll see what happens from there.  In the
> meantime, I had missed the suggestion to check the smartctl ouput (I'll
> add this command to my toolbox...thank-you-very-much).  Not sure what
> all this means, but here it is:
..
> Output for reallocated sector count is:
>
> SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
> Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
> ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG       VALUE     WORST THRESH
> TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
>
>    5   Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033    252          252
> 010           Pre-fail   Always                      -                0

The "RAW_VALUE" at the end of the line is normally the count,
and here it is zero.  Indicating NO bad sectors.
So the drive is probably 100% okay.

> Output for logs at end of report is:
>
> Error 42 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 150 hours (6 days + 6 hours)
>    When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was
> active or idle.
>
>    After command completion occurred, registers were:
>    ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
>    -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>    84 51 00 00 00 00 a0
>
>    Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
>    CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
>    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
>    ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  IDENTIFY DEVICE
>    ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  IDENTIFY DEVICE
>    ef 03 46 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  SET FEATURES [Set transfer
> mode]
>    ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 08      00:00:03.662  SET FEATURES [Reserved for
> Serial ATA]
>    27 00 00 00 00 00 e0 08      00:00:03.662  READ NATIVE MAX ADDRESS EXT
..

That flurry of commands all happened at the same time,
more or less.  Not sure what the problem was,
but likely just some software trying features that
the drive didn't understand.

The power-on time for them all was around 150 hours,
which gives you a clue as to when, and perhaps what
was happening.

Compare that with the Power_On_Hours attribute from higher up
in the output to get an idea of how long ago that activity occurred.

Cheers