[mythtv-users] MythTV on Windows

Mark Gardner Mark at thegardners.me.uk
Tue Nov 22 09:04:52 UTC 2011

Thanks Mark.

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Mark Kendall
Sent: 22 November 2011 08:43
To: Discussion about MythTV
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV on Windows

On 22 November 2011 07:45, Mark Gardner <Mark at thegardners.me.uk> wrote:
> Is Windows a rude word around here? Apols in advance if it is!

Not at all - it's just not as widely used.

> The Wiki sounds quite encouraging about MythTV on Windows, until you
> read the bit where it says most tuners are not supported. Is this
> likely to change does anyone know?

You may well have success with network based tuners such as the
hdhomerun. These should work in theory on a windows backend - but I'm
not sure if it's actually been tried.

> I'm also curious as to why most tuners are not supported, when driver
> availability seems to be much greater for Windows than Linux. I've two

> tuners (both apparently supported by MythTV on Linux) that work for a
> while but then just give up (TeVii S660 and KWorld 399U); I have both
> of them running rock solid with NextPVR on Windows. But NextPVR is
> IMHO a poor comparison to MythTV. MythTV (on Ubuntu) with my Hauppauge

> Nova-T stick is also rock solid.

In short, the code to interface with the windows tuner architecture has
not been written. There has been at least one initial attempt but it's a
very different setup from linux and, at least the last time I looked,
has a staggering learning curve.

regards

Mark