[mythtv-users] My HDPVR just died...

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Mon Nov 21 22:25:45 UTC 2011

On 11/21/2011 02:35 PM, Daniel Born wrote:
> My HD-PVR bought about 3 years ago just kicked the bucket yesterday.
> Symptoms were: recordings still happening but with a "static interference"
> look to the recordings. (meanwhile direct viewing from stb to tv showed all
> was good).
>
> Shutdown entire mythtv setup, from stb to computer, waited 30 seconds and
> restarted.
> After that, HD-PVR was not recognized by computer anymore. On the HD-PVR
> power led went from bright blue to dark blue and stayed there. No number of
> on/off, unplug/replug operations took it out of that "mode"...
>
> Going to buy another one tonight... Looking forward to see if new has less
> "issues" (periodic freezes and recording "glitches").
>
> What's been the usual reliability by others here? I mean total crap out, not
> the usual issues attributed to the HD-PVR.
> Daniel

Is the HDPVR's power adapter branded "NetBit"?  If so, those are known to
cause instability and eventually die.  I've had this happen to my HDPVR.
Google "HDPVR power supply" and see the reports in the sagetv forum.  If it is
a NetBit adapter, contact Hauppauge support about getting a replacement adapter.

Another option is you can also use a adapter that is 5V, at least 2.0A and
center positive pin.  The most common is to use Dlink AF-1805A rated at 2.5A.
You can find those on Amazon or ebay or if you have an old router, you may
have a compatible adapter (just check the markings carefully).

Alan