[mythtv-users] Seriously need help fixing new setup

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Nov 21 04:03:47 UTC 2011

On 11/19/2011 03:07 PM, steve wrote:
> On 11/19/2011 1:03 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 11/19/2011 02:45 PM, steve wrote:
>>> I named the host mythtv.mythtv, which is what I had named the old setup
>>> (I think).
>>
>>> I can connect the mysql/mythconverg using the mysql command line
>>> client.  I opened up the settings table and had a look.  Some relevant
>>> entries are:
>>>
>>> BackendServerIP    127.0.0.1    mythtv
>> Does the hostname program give you "mythtv" or "mythtv.mythtv"?  If the
>> latter, that's (at least part of) your problem--it's a different host name.
>
> yes, hostname yields mythtv.mythtv
>
>>> MasterServerIP    127.0.0.1
>> Also, FWIW, I recommend you never use 127.0.0.1 or localhost anywhere in
>> the MythTV configuration.  If you use a real, routable IP address, it
>> makes expansion much easier as your system grows.  Even on single-host
>> MythTV systems, it makes sense to use a real IP address.
>>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I will change that once I get the other
> problems worked out so as not to get too many things changing at once.

If the hostname is actually 'mythtv.mythtv' then myth does not agree.
Your settings table has 'mythtv' ONLY. And the MasterServerIP has no
host in the settings table.
It would be easiest to fix your network settings: change the hostname to
'mythtv', correct the hosts file and add 'mythtv'as the host in the
MasterServerIP setting row,

And Mike IS correct. If you want to add any external storage, or tuners
(HDHR etc), then you need a routeable address. Your router already gives
your box one, so set up your router to always use the same static IP and
use that internally as well. It also makes any ssh access or NFS shares
from another box really easy. It's one entry in your laptop's host file
and done.

Geoff