[mythtv-users] Problem playing video file

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Nov 20 17:23:43 UTC 2011

On 20.11.2011 12:24, Stefan D wrote:
> Now when Tintin is so popular in the movies i decided to watch some old
> cartoons of Tintin, to see the original. But i'm having problems in
> playing them with Myth. Tried mplayer and it worked perfect. Isn't Myth
> and mplayer using the same libraries or something, so if it works in
> mplayer it should work in Myth? Also works fine in Windows Mediaplayer.

> In the frontend log i can find this that don't look right:
>
> ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
> underruns are likely
>
> I changed permissions on some sound thing so Myth should be able to
> increase the buffer. But then again, mplayer works without any changes.
>
> I have a small part of the video if someone is interested in
> investigating, unless there is some problem with my setup.

The AVI container is broken when it comes to VBR audio, you might get
alot better results by just remuxing into MKV, MP4, TS, basically any
modern container format.

You're log doesnt contain the version of mythtv you are using.
If you are on 0.25-master, there have been some changes lately to the
ringbuffer for low bitrate streams.

Regards,
Karl