[mythtv-users] Putting Myth's DB on an SD card / SSD?

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 18:08:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:

> On 11-11-17 12:48 AM, Tyler T wrote:
> > In order to improve WAF I'm going to be adding a second ATSC (OTA)
> > tuner to my Myth system. Right now, I've got my OS, DB, and recordings
> > all on a 2.5" USB hard drive and I'm going to go ahead and assume that
> > watching one, and recording two, HD streams all at once is going to
> > cause issues. So:
> >
> > Is any random SD card going to have write performance fast enough to
> > host Myth's seektables, or should I go shopping for one with
> > "upgraded" write performance? In a non-scientific test, I seem to get
> > about 5MB/s write speed on an old 1GB SD card I already have. That may
> > sound slow but really, during a recording Myth isn't writing megs to
> > the DB (just lots and lots of tiny writes). I don't care if
> > mythfilldatabase or reschedules are slow.
>

> Mmm.. good questions.  I was wondering about this too,
> and it's easy enough to experiment with.
>
> I've got a "Class 10" SD card to try it with,
> so perhaps I'll just give it a whirl and see what happens.
>
> If the DB works well enough on the SDcard,
> then why not the entire root filesystem there as well?
>
> Cheers

I ran the entire OS and DB for a little while off of a fast thumb drive,
with my media on 2TB green drive.  I had no problems at the time, but it
was a short test for a month or two.  I only switched off because I was
having other problems, that ended up not having anything to do with the
thumb drive.

-Tom