[mythtv-users] Putting Myth's DB on an SD card / SSD?

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Thu Nov 17 17:54:55 UTC 2011

On 11-11-17 12:48 AM, Tyler T wrote:
> In order to improve WAF I'm going to be adding a second ATSC (OTA)
> tuner to my Myth system. Right now, I've got my OS, DB, and recordings
> all on a 2.5" USB hard drive and I'm going to go ahead and assume that
> watching one, and recording two, HD streams all at once is going to
> cause issues. So:
>
> Is any random SD card going to have write performance fast enough to
> host Myth's seektables, or should I go shopping for one with
> "upgraded" write performance? In a non-scientific test, I seem to get
> about 5MB/s write speed on an old 1GB SD card I already have. That may
> sound slow but really, during a recording Myth isn't writing megs to
> the DB (just lots and lots of tiny writes). I don't care if
> mythfilldatabase or reschedules are slow.

Mmm.. good questions.  I was wondering about this too,
and it's easy enough to experiment with.

I've got a "Class 10" SD card to try it with,
so perhaps I'll just give it a whirl and see what happens.

If the DB works well enough on the SDcard,
then why not the entire root filesystem there as well?

Cheers