[mythtv-users] How the BBC's HD DRM plot was kept secret .. and why

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 17:39:15 UTC 2011

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>Discussing hardware based CAM/CI solutions on this list is perfectly
>fine--it's basically equivalent to the (newly-available-in-the-US)
>CableCARD-based systems available for use with MythTV that are getting a
>lot of recent discussion.  It's software-based CAM that's a forbidden topic.

That looks like a big change of attitude to me. I can recall several
examples of people asking for help *legally* (and within the ToS of
their provider) using CAMs getting well and truly told where to go. I
understand the reasons, US based servers & developers, DMCA, etc, etc
- and a desire to avoid any possibility of being accused of breaking
the DMCA.

I think your mention of CableCard is a good clue - suddenly it's OK
now there's a legal US option !

--
Simon Hobson