[mythtv-users] MythmetadataLookup again

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:38:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Stefan D <raptorjr08 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> That is what was a little confusing for me, since that information says
> exactly which episode and season it is. And i couldn't understand why that
> information is not valid to find what episode and season the recording is,
> episode 11, season that started airing 2010. But what is logical to a human
> isn't the same thing to a computer or that is not information that thetvdb
> API supports.

There are multiple problems-- the field is subtitle, not "description of
what season and episode and year it is."

I promise you if you buy a DVD of House, that the title of the episode is
not "11 of 23 episodes from the 2010 season."  It's got some creative title
which reflects the plot of the episode.

Additionally, interpreting this text into season and episode vlaue would
require me to add parsing of text descriptions to look for season and
episode in non-season and episode text fields, in every language, for every
guide data, in every locale in the world.  That's just not going to happen.
 The guide data should have the correct subtitle, and not overload it with
data which is definitively not subtitle.

> Maybe i can get thetvdb to support that? =) Now it feels like describing a
> color with the name is valid, but the RGB value of the color is not valid.

No, it's more like when someone shows you a ball and asks you what color it
is, you say, "Round."  Then they ask what shape it is and you respond
"bouncy and about four inches wide."  the keys and values are not matching
up.

> (Hmm, would it be completely wrong to add "Del 11 av 23 säsong 2010", as
> the Swedish translation for the episode name? As it is now, there is no
> Swedish translation for any episode. Maybe i could check with thetvdb
> forum. Because then it would work, yes?)

Yes, it would work.  It would still be invalid data/not the correct data
for that field, but it would technically work.