[mythtv-users] MythTV Companion for iPad Update

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:18:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 20:25:12 -0800
> > From: Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>
> >
> > <Senseless self promotion follows>
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For those following the "android API" thread, I sort of let the lid off
> my
> > new iPad application for MythTV .25.  MythTV Companion is a full featured
> > control, library browser, recording manager, and (in the near future)
> > streaming frontend for MythTV.  It takes advantage of our new API to
> > stream recording and video metadata, imagery, scheduling, setup, and
> > guide info to a native iOS application.
>
> <snip>
>
> Robert - looks great!   Are you planning to port this to Android (for
> those of us who don't do Apple)?

I don't own any Android devices, so as of right now I don't have any plans
to-- basically I set out to write some example apps showing off the new
APIs, and then it developed into a Cocoa/Objective-C library for accessing
everything, on top of which I've written a UI.  So, the code itself is
highly XCode/Cocoa/Objective-C specific right now.  Porting to Android
would be a matter of owning Android hardware, rewriting the library from
scratch, and then trying to approximate the UI there (and probably learning
Java while I was at it).  Not insurmountable, I learned Objective-C for
this project too-- but not a one-weekend port either.

An easier port target would be iPhone for me, since that's just a matter of
writing a new UI.  That's not to say I lack interest in Android, just that
I'd expect it to take the several months I've been working on the iPad app,
at least-- and that presumes that the development tools for Android are as
good as they are for iOS-- I've anecdotally heard that that's not the case.

Maybe I'll see how the reception for the iOS app is, and make decisions
based on that.  If I can offset the cost of the hardware, I may start
looking for other port targets.

Robert