[mythtv-users] EXT4 vs XFS

Vincent McIntyre vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 03:51:05 UTC 2011

On 11/14/11, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Daniel (or anyone else who knows), could you explain a little more
> about the barrier/nobarrier setting?

Have a look at the XFS faq http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ
for some discussion. It's complex and depends on whether you are using LVM,
RAID and what kernel revision you are using.

More detail can be found in the discussions that have been highlighted
by lwn.net over the years. (write+barriers+site:lwn.net)

> I currently have my root with /etc and /var/log on my backend as an
> ext4 partition and my recording drives as xfs. I'd like to know if I
> should bother to use the nobarrier mount option for my recording
> drives and what I should expect by doing so.
>
> Also, should bother to "move" my root to ext3 type?

If there's no obvious problem, "it ain't broke..."