[mythtv-users] alternate profile for Videos that won't play using VDPAU

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 23:14:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Glen <glen.hawksworth at bigpond.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 16:38 -0500, Kris B. wrote:
>> On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 7:18 AM, "Anthony Giggins"
>> <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
>> >         >
>> >         > Only way i can really think of is to set up a custom
>> >         script that
>> >         >
>> >         > 1. runs a mysql command line to change the playback
>> >         settings
>> >         > 2. runs the video via mythavtest %s
>> >         > 3. runs a mysql script to change the playback settings
>> >         back to your default.
>
> hmmm... too hard for me at this stage
>> >

>> >         ...or if this is a real bug, how about creating a bugreport
>> >         and potentially get it fixed in the internal player, rather
>> >         than ignoring the problem and implement some ugly workaround
>> >         which doesn't benefit anyone but yourself?
>> >
>> >         Of course, if these "downloaded videos" are illegal
>> >         downloads, you're on your own. If not, create a small sample
>> >         of the video, upload it somewhere and link it from the
>> >         ticket.
>> >
>> >         Best regards
>> >         Kenni
>> >
> I don't think it is a bug, at least not with the internal player. The
> videos "can" play ok on the internal player just not on this box under
> VDPAU. I guess it is a codec limitation of VDPAU. I haven't ascertained
> the particular codec yet.

codec is easy, install mediainfo

vdpau has limitatations on codec, and in some cases depends on card
(there are three "featuresets")

Even then with some featuresets with some codecs which otherwise work,
but don't support particular video sizes.

the nvidia readme has more info, in particular
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/280.13/README/supportedchips.html
and http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/280.13/README/vdpausupport.html