[mythtv-users] Excessive RingBuf Messages in mythbackend.log

Jacob Strandlien kepesk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:55:22 UTC 2011

On 11/9/2011 9:28 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 11/09/2011 10:20 AM, Jacob Strandlien wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm using Mythtv 0.24-fixes (latest build) on Ubuntu, and for the past
>> few weeks, I've had a super-aggravating problem with my
>> mythbackend.log.  Whenever I start MythTV, mythbackend.log will fill
>> with gigabytes of RingBuf messages that I can't seem to turn off.
>
> Hi;
>
> Something is setting the file and extra flags. If you do a:
> ps ax | grep mythbackend, you should see what flags were
> passed at startup.
>
> Do you have a file name like: /etc/default/mythtv-backend with a line
> that looks like: EXTRA_ARGS="--verbose file,extra" thats overriding
> your -v none attempt?

That sounds like a reasonable conclusion to me, but it doesn't seem to
be the case. Here is the output for ps ax | grep mythbackend:

  1518 ?        Sl     0:05 /usr/bin/mythbackend --logfile
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --user mythtv
  2890 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep mythbackend

Removing the --logfile argument from the /etc/init script does work, but
having no logfile is not really a good solution for me since I use it
all the time to test things and solve other problems.

Any other thoughts?

-Jacob