[mythtv-users] Gnome 3 caution for FC15 still valid?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 18:40:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:18 PM,  <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:

> I am upgrading my MythTV setup and had to start from scratch with FC15. The wiki page (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Fedora) has a worrisome discussion under "Notes for Gnome 3 on FC15" about how enabling Nvidia might cause problems with Gnome.  First, are these notes still valid now that the release is more mature?

I never liked running MythTV on top of Gnome2. I ran XFCE for a while
and then straight openbox, now I run it on LXDE as it's a little more
light weight than XFCE and is just enough for the kids to play or use
it as a functional computer. Using recent nvidia drivers I've had zero
issues with Gnome 3 on my desktop.

> Second, It talks about forcing fallback mode and gives a link to fedoraproject.org that talks about how to do this.  Again this looks mighty complicated.  There is now a switch in system settings to "force fallback mode."  Should I set this just in case, or is that a bad idea?

Yeah, it's a bad idea. As of Fedora 17 there will be no fallback mode.
Fallback mode wasn't designed to be an "option" but just a fail safe.

> Once I install the new drivers I figure if I don't do the right thing I will have no GUI, and this problem with #$^%!@ Nvidia is one of the things that forced me into this whole upgrade to begin with.  So any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure how nvidia forced you to upgrade, but ok. I use the drivers
from RPM Fusion without issue. There's occasionally hiccups like when
it was figured out that rdblacklist=nouveau was needed, and again when
modeset=0 became necessary, but current package from RPM Fusion should
take care of that for you.

All that said. Since Fedora 16 was just released, why not try that
instead? There were some significant changes in gnome-shell and other
components that may improve your experience, but in the end I would
recommend not running Gnome on a dedicated MythTV system as it adds
complexity and eats resources.

Richard