[mythtv-users] Control HDMI output to switch TV on/off

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Nov 8 16:17:57 UTC 2011

On 11/08/2011 09:23 AM, David Watkins wrote:
>> Question is, what constitutes being on or off on an Nvidia HDMI connector
>> on a Zotac board. Setting blank doesn't do it as the TV seems to be seeing
>> a signal that says black screen. Is there a way of "turning off" the HDMI
>> connection so the TV turns off?
>
> Well there must be a way, because it's working for me.
>
> I'm using a Nvidia based Zotac ION frontend, connected over HDMI to an
> LG television.
>
> If I leave MythTV on a menu then, after a while the screen goes blank.
>   A short while later the TV screen save kicks in and a short while
> after that the TV turns off.
>
> The bad news is that I can't think of anything special that I did to
> make this happen.  (I use gdm to autologin the mythtv user with a
> ratpoison window manager, and start the frontend).  I haven't changed
> any screensaver settings from their defaults, as far as I know (which
> I think means that mythtv is controlling the screensaver using DPMS)

I wonder if the TV turning itself 'off' could be a setting *on the TV*.

I also have an LG TV at home. Like David, when I leave Mythtv, after a
while, the screen goes black, BUT, I get a blue oval with 'No Signal' in
it, drifting around the screen. It will stay in that state for hours.

If I then push any button on the remote, I see a 'HDMI Connecting'
message under the Input list, and then the Menu/wherever-I-was comes up.

I am using Fedora 14 + KDE, without autologin and the rc.local attempts
to turn DPMS off (although I do not think it actually succeeds in that).

I will check the menu settings on the TV tonight.

Geoff