[mythtv-users] How to get multichannel sound to "Seperate digital output device"?

Jeppe Nejsum Madsen jeppe at ingolfs.dk
Mon Nov 7 21:01:51 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to configure mythtv as follows, which should work afaiu:

1) Normal 2-channel recordings, news, soaps  is played through the TV
using hdmi so I don't have to power on the AV system.
2) Movies, either recorded or mythvideo with multi channel sound is
played through SPDIF using the AV system.

I've configured the default sound output to be hdmi and the separate
digital output device to be SPDIF.

This setup mostly works: Recorded tv goes to HDMI and DVD/ISO etc with
DTS or DD soundtracks goes to SPDIF.

But more and more, some of the recorded TV contains multichannel sound
which I would also like to send through the AV system.

But myth seems to always send it through the HDMI output. I think Myth
knows there are multiple channels, since if I enable DTS & DD encoding
in myth and select a 5.1 speaker setup, the center channel is clearly
missing when played through HDMI.

So: How does myth determine which output device to use for sound?

Here's some mediainfo from a recorded program which is always output
to hdmi, no matter which audio stream I select:

Audio #1
ID                               : 2321 (0x911)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                   : HE-AAC / LC
Muxing mode                      : LATM
Codec ID                         : 17
Duration                         : 1h 36mn
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Delay relative to video          : -1s 480ms
Language                         : Danish

Audio #2
ID                               : 2325 (0x915)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                   : HE-AAC / LC
Muxing mode                      : LATM
Codec ID                         : 17
Duration                         : 1h 36mn
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Delay relative to video          : -1s 464ms
Language                         : Danish

/Jeppe