Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun Nov 6 14:11:39 UTC 2011

On 05/11/2011 21:24, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:22:41 -0400
> From: Thomas Mashos<thomas at mashos.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Upgraded the Ubuntu 11.10 and not Myth
> 	can't connect to MySQL
> To: Discussion about MythTV<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Robert Longbottom
> <rongblor at googlemail.com>wrote:

>> I've not been following this closely either, but it does look like
>> mysql is dying so those logs will be important. On a different note,
>> why did you upgrade to Mythbuntu 11.10? I'm genuinely interested in
>> knowing. Was there something you were hoping it would fix? Were you
>> trying to get a newer build of MythTV? Something else?
> -- Thomas Mashos
Hi Thomas,

Interesting question. I've not really thought about it. Who doesn't want
the latest version of anything? New versions are generally improvements
on old. If I stuck with the verison of Ubuntu that I first started with,
I wouldn't have things like Compiz (to impress visitors) or even the
latest version of MythTV (via MythBuntu .. I'd have to compile it myself
or something).

In the capitalist world, latest versions of things usually come at a
price. But in our incredible Open Source world, the latest bells and
whistles are free! So why not?

Obviously problems like this are the 'why not', but they are few and far
between. I've upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu about a month
after each release for the last 3 years without a hitch.

I can definately see the wisdom in "If it isn't broke, don't fix it".
But I also like to see the latest advances. 'Unity' seems like a bit of
a let down to me at the moment, but Compiz blew my mind! Why stick with
the old?

Damian