[mythtv-users] reco for motherboard

Roger H mythtvuser1818 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 14:09:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Doug Young <goofdad at gmail.com> wrote:

> So ... the motherboard in my backend is, after many years of dedicated
> service, failing.
>
> I'm looking to upgrade, and I'm looking for recommendation for a new
> motherboard.  No matter what choice I make, I'm confident I'll have to
> replace my chip/memory, so that's not an issue.
>
> What I'm looking for:
> - A handful of pci slots for old Hauppauge cards to support simple SD
> digital converter boxes.
> - Firewire to control the HD boxes.
> - As many sata ports as possible (current MoBo has 4, which are all
> full of 2TB drives).
>
> Plusses:
> - eSata to support external disks (currently through a thermaltake
> BlackX, not immediately necessary).  If nonexistent, I can buy a
> PCIE->eSata.
> - onboard video.  Not too worried about which card, as x support is
> not necessary (will run setup remotely).  If not, I can dig up an old
> PCIE card.
>
> I'm ambivalent over AMD vs Intel ... but AMD motherboards seem to run
> about $50 cheaper across the board, and equivalent chips seem to be
> cheaper for AMD as well.  Since game performance is not a factor, I'm
> leaning towards AMD just for the price difference.
>
> I'm currently looking at the GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H, but thought I'd
> ask here if anyone had any other likes/dislikes.
>
> Thanks in advance!

I am usuing the slightly older GA-880GM-UD2H (rev. 1.4) for my
Frontend/Backend with an AMD Athlon 2 X2 245e.  Works well, but I did
notice that on boot with Ubuntu 10.10 it gives the highly descriptive
message "Too Many Connections." ;)  Researching the issue I gather it is
related to the Realtek audio chip.  Analog audio works fine for for me but
I gather there can be an issue with digital audio.  Newer kernels may have
fixed this issue.  The GA-880GA-UD3H has a slightly newer Realtek chip, so
I don't know how that will behave.

I am not using on-board video as I prefer to use an VDPAU so I can't
comment on that.