[mythtv-users] Hard Disk Prices -- What Happened?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 22:41:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 19:43, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> But it's interesting to see how quickly supplies dried up. This
> wasn't caused by the loss of manufacturing, it was caused by
> speculative or panic buying. These things are shipped over in bulk by
> sea - and that takes several weeks so there **will** still be stock
> arriving. It's all the people buying drives that they wouldn't have
> otherwise bought (some for speculation, some to cover planned or
> potential future needs) that have "stripped the shelves bare".

<conjecture>
But the more interesting story is probably the large manufactures
like Dell who probably have huge contracts for nnnn thousands
of drives per month, and have penalties for failure to deliver
(just in time stocking may reduce inventory costs, but
means that you are a victim if the supplier fails to deliver,
so I would expect penalties for such failure).  I expect that
the WDCs/Seagates/Samsungs are going to redirect whatever
stock they can to those large customers to avoid those penalties,
meaning that actual available retail stock may very well dry
up RSN, even with the ships still coming in.
</conjecture>