[mythtv-users] reco for motherboard

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 22:26:12 UTC 2011

So ... the motherboard in my backend is, after many years of dedicated
service, failing.

I'm looking to upgrade, and I'm looking for recommendation for a new
motherboard.  No matter what choice I make, I'm confident I'll have to
replace my chip/memory, so that's not an issue.

What I'm looking for:
- A handful of pci slots for old Hauppauge cards to support simple SD
digital converter boxes.
- Firewire to control the HD boxes.
- As many sata ports as possible (current MoBo has 4, which are all
full of 2TB drives).

Plusses:
- eSata to support external disks (currently through a thermaltake
BlackX, not immediately necessary).  If nonexistent, I can buy a
PCIE->eSata.
- onboard video.  Not too worried about which card, as x support is
not necessary (will run setup remotely).  If not, I can dig up an old
PCIE card.

I'm ambivalent over AMD vs Intel ... but AMD motherboards seem to run
about $50 cheaper across the board, and equivalent chips seem to be
cheaper for AMD as well.  Since game performance is not a factor, I'm
leaning towards AMD just for the price difference.

I'm currently looking at the GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H, but thought I'd
ask here if anyone had any other likes/dislikes.

Thanks in advance!
--
Doug