[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 3 20:18:42 UTC 2011

On 11/3/2011 14:51, Scott and Nicole Harris wrote:

>> No. When you are recording, MythTV simply picks the first tuner out of
>> the list capable of recording the channel you scheduled. Thus, the
>> ideal configuration for multirec orders all the tuners sequentially in
>> the database, so that MythTV automatically tries all in-use physical
>> tuners, before resorting to a fresh tuner. The problem is that LiveTV
>> will follow the same order, choosing a virtual tuner on an in-use
>> physical tuner, locked to a specific multiplex.
>>
>> The work around is that you configure your virtual tuners sequentially,
>> so multirec works as intended. Then you add in one additional virtual
>> tuner each, and configure LiveTV to avoid conflicts, causing it to pull
>> sequentially from the bottom of the list down. Recordings and LiveTV
>> thus both get the ordering that is best suited for their purposes. The
>> issue becomes that if all your tuners are tied up with LiveTV, scheduled
>> recordings may fail.
> Yes, I got all that.  I was apparently a little confused with the "change virtual tuners from 2 to 4 as you connect them".  So you're saying I could have simply changed Max Recordings to 4 on each capture card as I added it? After defining all my capture cards with 4 tuners, THEN gone in and connected them in the order I want them used for recording?

No.  You add your tuner cards with however many virtual tuners for
simultaneous recording you want, and go all the way through all normal
configuration and set up in mythtv-setup for them.  Then you go back and
add one additional virtual tuner each.  I only said to use four, because
you are limited to five.  You could use two virtual tuners, and then
afterwards add a third on each for livetv.  You could use three virtual
tuners, and then afterwards add a fourth on each for livetv.