[mythtv-users] Hard Disk Prices -- What Happened?

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Nov 3 19:33:25 UTC 2011

On Fri Nov 04, 2011 at 06:21:34 +1100, John Haywood wrote:

> On 04/11/2011, at 6:18 AM, George Galt <george.galt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of updating my hardware before the end of the year only
> > to discover that the price on hard drives seems to have jumped
> > significantly.  A month or so ago, I was finding 2TB drives for
> > ~$80US, now it's hard to find something for under $140US.  What gives?
> > Does anyone have any information
>
> That would be due to the floods in Thailand, according to our supplier.

Indeed. WD have stopped all production as their factory is under water
(see https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150371103702908.375494.99336862907&type=1).

Toshiba have also had their plant flooded, and last I heard, Seagate
were facing component shortages as their suppliers had been flooded out
(though their production line was still running okay).

Don't expect prices to go down anytime soon either - suggestions are the
prices could double again from where they are now.

Cheers,
    Robin
--
     ___