[mythtv-users] Multiple Lineups / Live TV Channel Change

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Nov 3 16:58:16 UTC 2011

On 11/3/2011 12:50, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>> On the bright side, Delete all capture cards and then re-creating
>> capture cards and re-connecting inputs takes all of 2 minutes, even at a
>> slow pace.  With my 6 cards on 2 backend hosts and differing capture
>> card (Live TV) and input (recording) orders, it takes me 30sec to delete
>> and re-configure.  It actually takes me more time to shut down the
>> system so I can run mythtv-setup than it takes to reconfigure it.
>>
>> Oh, and with Delete all capture cards, your channels are not affected,
>> so you won't have to rescan or anything.
> For you, I don't doubt that it can be done in 30 seconds, but I wish
> you would understand that 2 minutes is not enough time for the average
> mythtv administrator.  There's potentially a lot of stuff to remember
> that is destroyed by "Delete all capture cards" that needs to be set
> up again.

You can just as well delete the digital tuners individually.  The only
consequence is that this does not restart the numbering, and recording
on "encoder 65" might seem a bit confusing to some.  The only settings
you need to remember for most types of digital tuner is timeout values,
and then most tuners are perfectly happy with the defaults.  The only
difficulty I could see that would result in this taking more than a
couple minutes for anyone is DVB-S users that have to recreate complex
DiSEqC chains.