[mythtv-users] LCD not showing currently playing info but shows recording

Larry T larryt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:38:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Greg Grotsky
<spikeygg.mythbox at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:47 AM, Larry T <larryt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Somewhere along the way I lost the currently playing functionality. I
>> still get the clock and I still get Recording screens. I don't ever get the
>> currently playing screens that show for example the current TV program
>> being played.
>>

> Hi Larry, I have this problem too (and have for several months).  I wrote
> to the distribution list back in June 2011 asking if anyone else had
> experienced the same thing and a couple of people responded.  One of them
> told me that it was probably me interpreting it as "broken" and that
> it just had been implemented differently than I expected... anyway, a few
> weeks back someone else opened a ticket (#10099) regarding the connection
> from mythfrontend to mythlcd explaining the same thing you and I are
> seeing.  So it has been recognized and flagged.  I didn't want to open a
> ticket without proof that it wasn't just my system but no one had come
> forward with a compliant -- now there are three of us. :)
>
> I miss the status info on my lcd since it enabled me to navigate myth
> without turning the TV on.  I didn't use it very often but it was handy on
> occasion.
>
> -Greg
>
> Hey - good to hear from you. I spoke with Beirdo about this issue briefly
in IRC and showed him that ticket you reference above. I suspect that is
why he took assignment of the ticket.

When I turned up logging on the components, I was able to confirm that I
was seeing what was described in the ticket. From all debug and log notes,
it appears that the socket that would be providing the frontend status to
the LCD is not connecting and that is why we lost this functionality. It
does not appear to be any sort of configuration error or hardware error.

I look forward to this functionality being restored but I suspect two
things are against us here. The first is that LCD display is a nice-to-have
feature and not the primary functionality of the system. The second is that
I bet LCDs are not widespread amongst the user base.