[mythtv-users] Backend upgrade question

Thomas Boehm mythtv-users at lists.boehmi.net
Thu Nov 3 09:32:57 UTC 2011

Matthew Asplund wrote:
> I have a mythtv system that has been reliable, but is starting to fail
> in the performance area.  My backend is a 1.2 GHz VIA CPU with 2 GB of
> memory and 4 TB of file space.  It is currently running Lucid Lynx in 32
> bit mode, with myth 0.23. I have 3 frontend systems in different rooms
> in the house, so this is a dedicated backend.  I just bought a new AMD
> E-350 motherboard and 8GB of memory to upgrade the backend hardware, and
> am pondering my options.
>
> I want to
> 1. Upgrade to the new hardware, while preserving the current database
> and files
> 2. Upgrade to 64 bit to be able to use 8 GB
> 3. Upgrade to 0.24, since I am having VDPAU/Audio problems on one of my
> fronted systems
>
> 1 is definite, 2 is very desirable, and 3 would be nice.  I know how to
> back up the database, install a new 64 bit version of Natty or Oneric,
> and then restore the database, but if I do that, it forces the upgrade
> to 0.24, and that is the part I am not so sure of.  I know that the
> database schema changes with each version, and I am worried about
> importing a 0.23 database into a 0.24 installation.

Personally I've given up on non LTS releases of Ubuntu and would install
10.04. and not upgrade before 12.04.1, if at all. Then you enable the
Mythbuntu repos and install 0.23, import your database and check if
everything works. Then you run sudo dpkg-reconfigure myhtbuntu-repos to
upgrade to 0.24.

The advantage of LTS releases is, that there are more than one MythTV
versions available for it in the repository, atm 0.23, 0.24, 0.24.1 and
0.25.

HTH
Thomas