[mythtv-users] The Heidi Game: Why TV stays on the sports program

Jim Berwick jim at jamesberwick.com
Wed Nov 2 16:06:31 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yesthat does explain why a network doesn't cut away but it doesn't explain
> why the network doesn't schedule enough additional time after agame for post
> match analysis which would cover the vast majority of overruns. Or do they?

I've almost never seen the allotted time for NHL, NFL, or MLB cover
the entire game and a post game wrap up.  NFL games usually run long
enough that the last few minutes of the 1PM game is in the 4PM game's
recording.  I don't watch a lot of baseball but every night there's a
game on Fox or some other channel I record a lot of I miss an entire
recording or more of the Simpsons or during MLB playoffs Conan on TBS.
 NHL games are timed perfectly so that after a 2.5 hour recording you
can miss the last 3-5 minutes of every single game.

I'd be fine if they just scheduled an extra 15-30 minutes of "post
game coverage" and filled it with commercials if the game ended on
time.  I'm not counting extraordinary events like a 16 inning baseball
game, I mean a normal 9 inning game that somehow managed to run 30
minutes over the time limit.