[mythtv-users] So: how *could* CBS solve the sports delay problem?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Nov 2 14:05:19 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ryan Patterson" <ryan.goat at gmail.com>

> All networks these days broadcast one digital HD channel and one or
> more digital SD channels. Usually the secondary digital SD channel
> shows the weather or some crappy movie, etc. When a sporting even
> overruns its allocated time slot, it should be moved to a secondary
> digital SD channel. Normal programming can continue on the primary HD
> channel. They would just have to ensure to keep the secondary channel
> schedule free in case they need to use it for this. In fact mark that
> time as "NFL game overrun" so people can schedule it to be recorded.

As did the other person suggesting this, you've overlooked the fact that
90+% of viewers get their TV by cable or satellite, and those outlets *don't
carry the transport stream* (TTBOMK), they break it down, and send along
(usually recompressed harder) the baseband program streams for which they're
contracted to the station.

So, the only people who would see the "overrun" -- IE: *the ending of the
game* -- are those watching OTA *and* who are prepared for the change.

Given the ratings of sports, that's nearly all of them.

And remember the Heidi Bowl:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidi_Game

This is *not* trivial stuff... especially if *you* are the supervisor at 30 Rock.

Cheers,
-- jra