[mythtv-users] Best way to transcode SD shows on HD channels

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:39:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:24 AM, Kris B. <krisbee at krisbee.com> wrote:
> I have a custom job that uses Handbrake with the ipod setting... this
> transcodes it to h264, and I never have any artifacts.  It drops an hour
> show to about 500mb.  Being h264, it does take awhile (I get about
> 15fps), but for some of the shows, I have another custom script that
> will hard cut the commercials first, and then transcode.  For rerun
> sydication, it never fails.  Certain primetime shows also always work
> (Wipeout and Americas Funniest Home Videos comes to mind).
>
> I believe if you search the archive you will see my script.
[snip]

Thanks Kris. I installed the script and when I called it the log showed:
"Roku Encode  to /.mp4, details in /var/log/mythtv/rokuencode.log"

I then realized that I had just put the script location/name in the
user job but not the parameters

#convert mpeg file to mp4 using handbrakecli
MYTHDIR=$1
MPGFILE=$2
CHANLID=$3
STRTTIM=$4