[mythtv-users] 0.25: since 10 days PVR-500 fails to tune?

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Tue May 31 21:16:24 UTC 2011

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 03:53 PM, Herman Kuiper wrote:
>>> If this is just in Live TV, go into mythtv-setup and set the channel to
>>> tune.  If this happens with regular recordings,
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I've followed all steps there (I even deleted all
>> capture cards), except for one bit: I'm based in the Netherlands, and
>> a channel scan resulted in no channels (as the cable companies over
>> here do not use any of the "fixed" channels, but specific frequencies)
>> and the "fetch channels" didn't do anything (the text is a bit
>> ambiguous what to do as non-USA analog source user).
>>
>> So I added the channels by hand, and filled in the frequencies which
>> were there before.
>>
>> End of story: same symptoms - LiveTV just returns, recordings fail
>> (regular related log fragments attached).
>>
>> Any other ideas on what is wrong?
>
> Well, that's almost definitely the problem.  I have some idea how the
> MythTV channel scanner works, but have no idea what state your data is
> in when it's all just hand-poked into the DB.  :)
>
> I have a feeling that the proper solution is for you to use the channel
> scanner to get your channels, and that there's an approach that would
> allow it to work even with your provider's configuration.
> Unfortunately, I don't know know what that approach is.  Perhaps someone
> else from the Netherlands can help you figure out how to scan your
> channels with the MythTV channel scanner?
>
> Mike

[Butting in late here]
I've always understood we don't scan using PVR-xxx cards. Have to use an
imported lineup form Schedules Direct or such.
The couple times I've (inadvertently) scanned using my PVR-150 resulted
in DB mush.

(...wondering because a couple channels, which are in the SD lineup,
don't tune for me anymore, and maybe scanning will find them.)