[mythtv-users] previously recorded repeats still recorded

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:34:04 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 02:55, Dan Littlejohn <dan.littlejohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> That link did not help me figure out what is going on.  For the program id
> below you can see it has recorded several times.  It is scheduled to be
> recorded again for some reason on June 7th.
>
> Here are my settings:
>
> Duplicate Check method Subtitle and Description
> Check for duplicates in:all recordingsFilter: Exclude generic episodes.
>

> The backend schedules this on a tuner in a frontend so maybe this is
> something to do with the frontend database?  Can anyone shed some light on
> what I have misconfigured or why this is not working and what I can do to
> try and troubleshoot it?

IIRC when you use the "Subtitle and description" dupe detection method
and the subtitle field is missing for a particular programme, that
programme will not be regarded as a duplicate even if that exact
combination (no subtitle but desc present) has been seen and recorded
before. A subtitle must be present for this dupe method to work.

This is different to using the "Subtitle then description" method
which will ignore a missing subtitle and only use the description
field for dupe detection, but will prefer (and only use) a subtitle if
one is given.

I'm also unsure as to why your non-generic program IDs have not been
used in preference to the chosen dupe detection scheme. This behaviour
seems (to me) to be in conflict with the wiki article's description of
the use of the programid.

Anyhow, to fix this particular problem, follow Mike Holden's
suggestion and use "Subtitle then description" dupe detection method.
I use this for almost all scheduling rules (although I'm using a
different listings source to you which does not have as rich programid
information), and rarely have to manually intervene with the
scheduler's proposed recordings.

Cheers,
Nick

--