[mythtv-users] Mything thomething

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat May 28 18:56:40 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tyler T" <tylernt at gmail.com>

> Just distribute the source code of known working versions of the
> dependent tools with the Myth tarball, and compile them with "myth-"
> prepended onto them as part of the the Myth build process. You don't
> care if your users happen to already have buggy ffmpeg.0.3.5.unstable
> on their system, because Myth brought it's own
> myth-ffmpeg.0.3.1.stable with it and uses only that.

And then *the project* is responsible for all that code.

Welcome to the Dirty Little Secret of componentized open source software.

This is precisely the approach which a couple other large projects have had
to take -- Zimbra and WebGUI, most notably to me -- and it's just as bad a
solution as the alternative, really.

Cheers,
-- jra