[mythtv-users] MySQL remote access not possible

Ramon Hofer ramonhofer at bluewin.ch
Sat May 28 16:07:16 UTC 2011

On 05/28/2011 02:01 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 27 May 2011 22:59, Ramon Hofer<ramonhofer at bluewin.ch>  wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm trying to install MythTV Backend on Debian Squeeze.
>> After installing the base system with SSH access I install mysql-server.
>> There's no problem. I can reboot and there's no error message.
>>
>> But when I simply change the bind-address to the system's IP address and
>> then reboot I get an error message when mysqld should be started.
> > From your syslog, it looks like networking is starting /after/ mysqld.
> This is causing mysqld to fail to bind to the as-yet-unconfigured IP
> address. When you restart mysqld, networking is up and mysqld can bind
> successfully as the configured IP address has now been acquired.
>
> The second issue (logging in to the database from the command line)
> seems to be due to incomplete mysql access permissions - not user
> permissions to the files on disk, but rather the user access control
> to the database. Read through:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV-HOWTO#Modifying_access_to_the_MySQL_database_for_multiple_systems
>
> and update your DB as necessary for your local network,
>
> Cheers,
> Nick

I tried the following without success:

$ sudo apt-get install mysql-server
Change the bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.cnf to the physical address
(192.168.1.6).
$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart

$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 98
Server version: 5.1.49-3 (Debian)

Copyright (c) 2000, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
reserved.
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL v2 license

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
statement.

mysql> CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS mythconverg;
Query OK, 1 row affected, 1 warning (0.00 sec)

mysql> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at 192.168.1.6
<mailto:mythtv at 192.168.1.6> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO
mythtv at 192.168.1.6 <mailto:mythtv at 192.168.1.6> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
utf8_general_ci;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> exit

I have no problem connecting via telnet on port 3306.

But I can't login

$ mysql -u mythtv -p -h 192.168.1.6
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.6' (using
password: YES)

$ mysql -u root -p -h 192.168.1.6
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'192.168.1.6' (using
password: YES)

Also adding my user and mythtv user to the mysql group doesn't help.

I really got stuck and have no clue how to continue :-(