[mythtv-users] Mything thomething

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat May 28 04:31:08 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Robert McNamara" <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>

> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> > MythTV these days suffers from what I call Mozilla Syndrome; OOo has it
> > too, as does any other *really* big and complicated package: the snap
> > answer in the FOSS community has always been "I look forward to your
> > patch". But these packages are so big and complicated that you have
> > to not only marry them but give birth to their children before
> > you're capable of having the first idea where to *look* for a place to
> > patch something.
>
> I can't say that I agree. Fixing tiny "paper cut" bugs like typos or
> tiny logic errors are an excellent way to begin, and how I began with
> myth. I knew nothing of the code, and had submitted a great many
> patches before I developed any real intimacy with the code. Granted,
> your first patch, or tenth patch, or even fiftieth patch might not fix
> the showstopper everyone's been upset about for years, but every
> little bit helps. Moreover, I started with myth with no programming
> skills whatsoever, and found myself the maintainer of one or two of
> the more fundamental plugins within a year.

That's fine, but it fixes the problem "I want to become a Myth developer".

I'm discussing the problem "I have a problem with Myth that I think
needs to be fixed, but no one else seems interested in it".

"Fix it yourself" is not a valid response -- though it's always been the
stock answer in the FOSS community -- when the codebase is, what, 400kloc?

> That said, unless there's some question addressed directly to me, I'm
> going to refrain from further comment in this thread as even though
> I'm trying to be conciliatory, perpetuating the thread isn't really
> serving any purpose. We know the bugs are there, and are doing our
> best to fix them (while still managing to keep a roof over our heads).

Yes, sorry; I'm just ranting, you're right.  I'll go be quiet now; thanks
for your patience.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra