[mythtv-users] Software changes required when switching CPU from single-core to multi-core?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 26 19:08:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:57 AM, Terjesen Jens Peder
<Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com> wrote:
> Craig Huff wrote:

> So new questions:
> A) Any better way to defrag (for future reference, at least) than our
> old trick _and_ painfully slow of dump entire FS somewhere else,
> delete -R /video{|2|3}/*.*, and then restore from "somewhere else", be
> that another disk or tape?
>
> Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom.
> Craig.
>
> I am using XFS on all my recording drives. XFS has a tool/command that can do defragmentation in place.
>
> The limiting factor for defragmentation as I have understood it is that there needs to be enough free contigous space on the filesystem where each fragmented file can be copied to. I don't think this tool will move files around in order to create enough free contigous space.
>
> I run this tool as a cron job every night, and in combination with an alloc size of 512 MB this seems to keep fragmentation quite low even if all drives are more or less full.
>
> Jens

I wouldn't worry too much about fragmentation with XFS. I have over
10TB of storage using XFS for both my recording drives and "long term"
storage (music, movies, etc) and my total fragmentation level is quite
low and I don't run the XFS tool.

the mythtv wiki has good info on XFS,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XFS

--