[mythtv-users] Transcoding profiles

Dave Sp davespmyth at gmail.com
Thu May 26 09:46:33 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

>  On 5/22/2011 18:36, Dave Sp wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:05 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>
>> On 19/05/2011 17:12, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> > Not directly, no.  However you can get mythtranscode to act as a raw
>> > frame server to another application that can.  See nuvexport for an
>> > example on how to do this.
>>
>>  If someone has figured out how to drive HandBrake like that, can they
>> please post how it's done?
>>
>> With SD, I used to use lossless transcode to cut adverts and then
>> archive with HandBrake, but now most of my content is HD, I've
>> more or less given up.
>>

> For my HD recordings, I use mythtranscode with the --mpeg2 and
> --honorcutlist options to create a new file, then send that to HandBrakeCLI
> with "--preset Normal" to create the final video.  For me, Handbrake's
> output file is around 1/10th the size of its input file.
>

> That doesn't sound right.  By clipping commercials, you're going to chop
> off maybe 35% of a recording.  MPEG2 to H264 is going to get you another
> 2-3x.  I could see 1/5th the original recording, but not 1/10th unless
> you're downscaling the video.

I'll use last Sunday's Family Guy (hour long) as an example.

Original recording:
1 hour, 3 minutes.  MPEG-2 (TS).  1280x720.  15.5Mbps bitrate.  6.9GB file
size.

Hand-cut commercials.  After mythtranscode with --mpeg2 and --honorcutlist
43 min, 30 sec.  MPEG-2 (PS).  1280x720.  15.5Mbps bitrate.  4.8GB file
size.

After HandBrakeCLI with "--preset Normal":
43 min, 30 sec.  MPEG-4.  1280x720.  Variable bitrate (overall 2.6Kbps).
797MB file size.

The resulting file size is 12% of the original before transcode.  And the
final video doesn't have any artifacts that I can see.

--Dave Sp