[mythtv-users] Filesystem Tuning?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 24 21:06:43 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 04:39 PM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> I recommend partitioning (with parted or whatever), then creating a file
>> system, then using rsync to copy data from one drive to the next (rsync
>> is nice because it has a --progress arg that shows you where it's at in
>> the process).
> I'd second rsync. Apart from potential benefits starting with a clean
> filesystem, you can stop it if necessary, and start again where you
> left off.
>
> Or, if the system is still in use, you can do the bulk of the copying
> while the system is still running - and then let rsync go again once
> you've stopped MythTV and it will pick up anything that's changed.
> That means you can significantly cut down on system downtime.

And in the event that you're using rsync on a "live" system (that's
handling current recordings and such), you can even use --bwlimit to
limit the bandwidth it uses.  Coupled with the ability to start/stop,
you can use bandwidth limits during primetime, for example, then unlimit
(or relax limits) at other times.

Mike