[mythtv-users] Best VDPAU card for under $50

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:18:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> On 5/24/2011 12:30, David Engel wrote:
>>> I've not heard anything about nVidia developing multiple simultaneous
>>> stream support for VDPAU.
>> > From the changlog:
>>
>> 2009-11-23 version 195.22
>> [...]
>>      * VDPAU now allows multiple streams to be decoded at once, without the
>>        need to set any environment variables.
>
> Wow.  I don't know how I missed that one.  Thanks.

IIRC, after that was announced I read something on the dev list, or
perhaps from a commit, I forget exactly, along the lines of making the
video window a true "widget" which would allow PIP and PBP to take
advantage of this VDPAU change. Currently, as I understand it, for
PIP, the main, larger image, is always decoded with VDPAU (if your
using it) and the smaller window is always decoded with the fallback
(ffmpeg I assume). Making it a widget would let any video be decoded
with VDPAU simultaneously, and allow the theme developer to set the
placement better.

both of which excited me. I like the idea of 2+ (4, 8?...) PBP going
at once on "game day"

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!