[mythtv-users] new HDMI cable give no display

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:40:10 UTC 2011

On 24 May 2011 17:21, Ken Truesdale <kat at tiac.net> wrote:

> On May 24, 2011, at 12:07 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
>
> > upto now i've been using an unknown HDMI cable (came with sky+HD box,
> which i've now sold). i've had to buy a new HDMI cable  to go with my mythtv
> setup.
> > the local shop had 2 types, so i went for the more expensive HDMI 1.4
> specced cable.
> >
> > now when mythtv boots, i either get no display (with the tv switching
> between wide and 16:9 ratio), or a load of snow over the screen (like an
> untuned analogue tv signal).
> > i reboot the mythtv pc, and it shows a picture fine at bios level, just
> not once mythbuntu starts booting.
> >
> > i've been able to get into mythbuntu 'safe mode', enter safe graphics
> mode, and re-configure the display. reboot as requested, but still no
> display once mythbuntu starts to load.
> >
> > annoying.
> > but whats even more annoying, is the cable works perfect with my HDMI
> laptop (intel HD graphics) at 1080p.
> > since i bought 2 of the same cable, i try both; they both exhibit the
> same issue with mythbuntu.
> >
> > mythbuntu setup:
> > nvidia 210 gfx
> > mythbuntu 0.24
> >
> > any ideas how i can fix this? i know it's a bit overkill, but i COULD
> rebuild it from scratch if it came to it. i'm not very good with linux - i
> can get my way around and usually understand what im doing when i follow a
> guide, but not actually diagnosing issues.
> >
> > oh, SSH and VNC works fine and mythtv seems to be fully working (hdd
> activity when i use the controller to go around the menus), just im getting
> no display..
>

> So MythTV used to work with your TV with the old cable and doesn't with the
> new cable?  Is it possible that the old cable wasn't setting up a good
> connection to the Myth box and the video display was taking a guess.  Now
> you can get a good EDID through the new cable and your Myth box doesn't have
> the right drivers?  If so, then it is just a matter of debugging why your
> Myth box doesn't like your TV now that it knows what it is.
>
> The alternative is that the cable isn't working with your setup which seems
> easy enough to check by returning one of the two cables you got and trying
> the other kind that was offered.
>

> Ken.

god knows what the issue is; these new cables dont seem to like the mythtv
pc. work fine with everything else, and other cables work fine with mythtv.
i think i'll swap cables around to get a working setup for tonight, and see
what they can do for replacement tomorrow..
i think i might look at upgrading to 11.04/0.24.1 next week and see if i
suffer the same issues.

thanks for the sugestions..