[mythtv-users] Distributing jobs

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:28:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Dura Zell <dura-zell at dynamik.ddns.net> wrote:
> On 23.05.2011 21:09, Tom Lichti wrote:

>>> Indeed there are two reasons:
>>> First the fileserver has no free PCI slots. Second and much more
>>> important: The room where the fileserver sits has no wall-sockets for
>>> cable-tv. (At my location I have to use cabel-tv.) The living room is
>>> the only room where those sockets are located.
>>
>> My thought would be to make the file server the master backend, and
>> make the current master into a slave, if that is not an option, your
>> only recourse is to leave the master up at all times and run the file
>> server either as a slave or as a job server using mythjobqueue.
>>
>> Tom
>

> Can the fileserver be the master backend without any capture cards? As
> far is I understand the docs (manual, wiki) the masterbackend has to
> have at least one capture card wich is not possible in my setup.
>
> Maybe I write something myself, kind of perl daemon:
>
> 1. transfer file to another machine
> 2. convert file on this other machine
> 3. check if mbe is online and
> 3. a) if so: transfer file back do mbe
> 3. b) if not: wait until it is and then transfer back to mbe
> 4. on mbe: replace file with the transcoded one as if the file has been
> transcoded locally
>
> While 1. could easily be done with a userjob and 2-3 are not much more
> complicated, I'm not sure about the last part, this needs some
> investigation by me. :)

I think there has been some work done to make the backend work without
a tuner, but I don't know what state it's in. Could you setup a dummy
tuner than never gets used?

I know you'd like to shut down the MBE, but is it absolutely
necessary? If not, then just use mythjobqueue on the file server. Your
solution seems cumbersome and complicated.

Tom