[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:00:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> "you mean our customers will also have to buy one of our standard
> >> HDHomeRun models for un-encrypted content?!"...
> >>

> > Alternately, it's not outside the realm of possibility that one or
> > more tuners of the three might be able to run in cablecard-free mode.
> > I suspect that would require some library updates, but it seems like a
> > distinct possibility.
> >
> > Robert
>
> yes, though SiliconDust keeps saying it's not possible. we will see.
>

> --
> Steve
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User:Steveadeff
> Before you ask, read the FAQ!
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions
> then search the Wiki, and this list,
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/

All three tuners will act the same, either CableCard or QAM mode.  No hybrid
modes.  The CableLabs OCUR certification is for the entire device, not per
tuner.  It may be true however that the PRIME will protect mistakenly
copy-protected broadcast channels where a QAM tuner will not.  I have two
(four virtual) QAM PCI tuners in my backend.  I will prioritize them so that
this situation will not affect me for broadcast channels.  Also, from my
experience, Comcast does not dynamically change the copy protection flags in
my area.

- Tom