[mythtv-users] How to put MythVideo storage groups back in?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon May 23 15:57:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Robert McNamara
> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> sorry, yes, I did do a rescan, my video locations no longer mount to
>>> my remote frontends so it is strictly streaming them now.
>>
>> OK, cool.  Just wanted people to understand that a rescan was
>> necessary to "correct" the metadata, as it's easy to see why people
>> would assume that it had all worked without doing so, since what you
>> described above would also work, you just wouldn't be using the
>> storage groups).  That said, it occurred to me after sending the reply
>> that you had likely scanned at *some* point since then, and therefore
>> the process had taken place at some point.
>
> yea, like you said, scanning ends up just being one of those things
> that gets done so much I forgot to bother mentioning it.
>
> brings up a question though, how does JAMU involve with all this? I
> didn't make any changes to JAMU and it still seems to be running
> properly on new videos, so I assume nothing needs to be done, but
> perhaps I was just lucky in that my arrangement made the move easier
> and no requirement for changes to how JAMU runs. This may be an issue
> for others though?

JAMU has modes for both local and storage group configurations, and
generally will do the right thing.  The only exception to this is when
people accidentally do a "half and half" configuration where they set
up the video SG but not the artwork SGs, leaving those as local
settings.  This isn't a supported configuration and JAMU can eat the
file paths, leaving people without imagery for their videos.

That said, in .24 and later, people should probably not run JAMU on
their video collection in any way (it is still useful for fetching
artwork for recorded programming, at least until I hook up the new
metadata classes to recordings).  When Jamu was originally written, it
was pretty analogous to the scan and fetch behaviors of MythVideo, but
there have been advancements in mythvideo scanning (levenstein
distance name matching, numerous new database fields, handling of
screenshots) that have not been added to JAMU.  The scan and metadata
grab in mythvideo/myth proper offers more accurate results (and in
cases where name matching is required, less interaction).  Granted,
for the metadata part needs to be done from a frontend still (though
I'm hoping to finally find time to get that fixed up by .25) but the
results are better and worth the tiny bit of effort IMO.  Mythvideo
also won't eat your metadata in the case of a misconfiguration, so
that's always good.

Robert