[mythtv-users] Playback problem -- random short pauses

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Mon May 23 13:41:25 UTC 2011

On 11-05-23 08:08 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
..

> Are any of the more involved Dev's other than JYA paying attention to
> this? (this is a callout for them to answer).
>
> It's looking like this may be a major issue that many users, with
> varying levels of hardware, are experiencing. I think it may be time
> to  create a ticket for this issue, but it would be nice to have a dev
> that can work with us in figuring out what's going on, and how exactly
> to create a ticket that will lead to some debugging help from the
> dev's for the users experiencing the problem to use to troubleshoot.
>
> the other end of all this is that it may be an issue that some of the
> further tweaking that's been done for the next release has resolved
> already. I'm wondering if anyone running off the latest git is
> experiencing?

I take it this is only (or is it primarily?) happening in trunk,
and not in 0.24-fixes?  I only run the latter here (no pauses).

What I would look for in the code, are sync(), fsync(),
and fdatasync() calls.  Those generally force writes to happen
and pause a lot of stuff to wait for them to complete in real-time.

Which can lead to tiny pauses and glitches elsewhere.

So just as a trial, perhaps grep through the code looking for those,
and temporarily remove them, to see if the problem then goes away.
That should prove/disprove this theory.

Cheers