[mythtv-users] Transcoding profiles

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon May 23 08:02:33 UTC 2011

On 22/05/2011 23:36, Dave Sp wrote:
> For my HD recordings, I use mythtranscode with the --mpeg2 and
> --honorcutlist options to create a new file, then send that to
> HandBrakeCLI with "--preset Normal" to create the final video.  For me,
> Handbrake's output file is around 1/10th the size of its input file.

Yeah, that's what I used to do with SD (except a different preset). If
your HD recordings are captured in mpeg2 then that's a good option
because the first step is lossless, but mine are h264, so both steps
will transcode, which isn't ideal.

I was intending to try using Handbrake directly on mythtranscode's
fifos, but I can't find any real documentation of that mode of
operation for mythtranscode, plus I'm not sure Handbrake supports
that mode. Shame because that would be the ideal, I'd have thought.

Paul.