[mythtv-users] Transcoding profiles

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 22 23:16:27 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Dave Sp <davespmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> For my HD recordings, I use mythtranscode with the --mpeg2 and
> --honorcutlist options to create a new file, then send that to HandBrakeCLI
> with "--preset Normal" to create the final video.  For me, Handbrake's
> output file is around 1/10th the size of its input file.
>
> --Dave Sp

I've been playing with the idea of saving some space on my recorded
program drive by doing something similar.  I've got a pile of Thomas
(2 year old with a train fascination) episodes that I'd like to shrink
down.  When I use the default transcode in mythtv the file size is
larger than when I started.  If I were to use handbrake --present
Normal on one of the episodes would it keep it in the "Watch
Recordings" menu?  Despite transcoding using an external program will
Mythtv still recognize it and keep it?  If not, is there a way to keep
it there unchanged to the family?

Thanks!