[mythtv-users] Is Btrfs a good choice for MythTV?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri May 20 20:07:02 UTC 2011

On 5/20/11 3:46 PM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Back to the original question :)
>>
>> > From a design standpoint...
>>
>> Is Btrfs a good filesystem to use with MythTV?
>>
> Btrfs like zfs are good for eliminating the chance of corrupt data.
> However I am not sure that is a necessity for anything in Mythtv. At
> least if I lost a few bits in my data stream on a recording knocking
> out a few frames it would not be the end of the world.

Having once recovered files from a disk with bad sectors, I can tell you
that it's not very pleasant. Myth doesn't just skip over the missing
frames or show a black screen, it stops playing and returns to the
menus. Getting back to, and past, the damaged section can be fairly
annoying. (Did I mention I have a kid who likes to watch the same shows
over and over?)