[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri May 20 17:44:49 UTC 2011

On 20/05/11 18:15, Fluf wrote:
> On 20 May 2011 14:53, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk
> <mailto:linux at thehobsons.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     Wouldn't help. Myth doesn't deal with "this mux isn't tuning so I'll
>     try another" - you just get empty recordings if a transmitter is off
>     (not that it happens all that much).
>
> DOH!!!
> Are you sure?
>  >From the last couple of days, I've got as far as thinking myth did the
> "I have 4 copies of channel 4, so starting with the lowest, can I have
> this one?" ... So if it couldn't (no signal) ... I'd of thought it would
> go on to the next? In which case, the theoretical best for me would to
> have all the channels laid out from all the receivers, numbered with the
> lowest being the strongest signal options.
>
> If yer right ... then there's no point ever having a duplicate, because
> if it picks a dud first I'll get a blank recording anyway?

I think that's right.  Myth expects a good signal and records the
programme.  If you just use a piece of damp string for an aerial in the
expectation that an unpredictable one of your collection of transmitters
might give an acceptable signal for a few minutes I suspect that your
frustration will only increase. :-)

John P