[mythtv-users] Transcoding profiles

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 20 03:23:15 UTC 2011

On 5/19/2011 23:09, Bob wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 07:47 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> Your content is already in h264.  It already is in the most efficient
>> common codec available.  While hardware decoders are not going to be as
>> efficient as something like x264, and you could arguably shave off
>> 20-30% with minimal quality loss, it will be at a huge cost in CPU power
>> (and electricity).  You shouldn't bother transcoding that content unless
>> you are either clipping commercials, or need it in a specific format for
>> some device.  In either case, you really want to use an external
>> utility, rather than MythTV's internal transcoder.
>>
> I had a hard drive crash and I restored some shows from an external
> drive where I had archive them.  When I archived the shows (using mythtv
> 0.23) I had cut lists to help skip commercials, etc.  When I restored
> the shows (mythtv 0.24) my cut lists were lost.
>
> My goal was to work around this, transcoding was the first idea.  Is
> there a way to make the cut lists "stick" between an archive and an
> export?  Perhaps my database has issues?

Are you talking about cutlists or skiplists?  Skiplists are those
generated by mythcommflag, and are optionally followed by the frontend.
Cutlists are the manually generated lists, that are always followed by
mythfrontend, and can be used by mythtranscode to permanently remove
chunks of recording.

There have been issues off and on with commercial flagging of HDPVR
content in MythTV.  The current 0.24 and 0.25 builds should work fine.