[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu May 19 22:13:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Robert Houghton <robbadler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thats too bad. If you can't register a customer-owned card, what is the
> point in buying one?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  US Cable providers are
legally obligated to provide a cable card on request, and generally
charge a fair amount less to rent one than a full set top box.  The
cablecard can be used to receive (in Windows) all subscribed channels
in pure digital form, sidestepping the need for lossy or unreliable
capture processes like analog capture and IR blasting.  Both the Ceton
and HDHR device are capable of receiving the virtual channel tables
which map the difficult-to-understand multiplexid-serviceid channel
numbers to real comprehensible ones like in a set top box.  In MythTV,
with certain providers (notably Comcast) it is quite possible that
many people will be able to capture the entire non-premium lineup in
some markets (ie, everything but HBO, Starz, etc).  The single
cablecard can also provide decryption services for all three tuners on
the HDHR Prime

So, to review:

* All channels
* Unmodified
* Correct channel mappings
* Lower rental cost
* Must be provided anywhere in the US
* Possible broad usability in MythTV
* One cablecard services three tuners

Hopefully there's no more ambiguity about why Myth users might care
about this device?  Speaking for myself, and I daresay a great many
myth users, I don't care who provides what part of the equipment-- so
long as ultimately I control the content, and the manner in which it
is consumed (legally).

Robert