[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu May 19 18:05:43 UTC 2011

On 19/05/11 18:14, Fluf wrote:
> On 19 May 2011 18:02, Mike Perkins<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>  wrote:
>

>> Erm, no. If you are talking about *digital* TV, then you likely get almost
>> *all*
>> of the available channels. It's nothing like analogue, where you got the
>> BBC
>> channels from one transmitter and the ITV ones from another. *All* channels
>> are
>> transmitted from one location by the same aerial.
>>

> Blinks. Looks at the channels he gets. Digital. Yup. Different from
> different places. Check. Lots of duplicates. Check.

No, it doesn't work like that. I'll give you my example: I get my signal from
Hannington, near Basingstoke. That's in the BBC South/Meridian area, so I get
those local channels. I also get *all* the national channels from there.

I can also get a signal from Oxford, which is /behind/ my directional aerial.
That transmits BBC Midlands/Central (south) local channels. It also transmits
*all* the national channels as well.

As I can also (!) get a signal from Crystal Palace - 60 miles away - I have to
use the procedure I outlined to you in my original post in order to make sure I
pick up the correct set of muxes, since the scanner starts at channel 21 and
goes up to 69, creating entries as it finds muxes - which are all interleaved.

If you do the same, you'll result in /one/ complete set of channels from /one/
transmitter and that should be all you need.

I also have two tuners connected to this aerial. This means that I can record
programs simultaneously on two muxes. Multirec allows me to record more than one
program on any selected mux; if you need to record from different muxes you need
more (physical) tuners. A tuner can only tune to one mux at any one time.

--

Mike Perkins